You have likely heard about the most prominent compounds in the cannabis plant, but what is CBDv? Cannabidivarin CBDv, commonly known as CBDv, is a minor cannabinoid found in Cannabis sativa plants, similar to its more well-known counterparts, THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (Cannabidiol). This non psychoactive cannabinoid, found in higher concentrations in certain cannabis strains, may have benefits for your dog’s health.
What is CBDv?
CBDv is one of over 100 minor cannabinoids produced by the cannabis plant. Like with many other minor cannabinoids, there’s still a lot scientists do not know about CBDv, but what they do know is that it shows promise. Similar to CBD, CBDv doesn’t connect with the cannabinoid receptors CB1 or CB2. This is one of the main reasons it’s thought to be a non intoxicating cannabinoid.
CBDV shares a similar molecular structure with CBD, which explains why their effects on the body might be similar. However, the chemical structure of CBDv is slightly different, resulting in unique properties that differentiate it from other cannabinoids
What is CBDv’s Molecular Structure?
CBD (cannabidiol) and CBDv (cannabidivarin CBDv) are both cannabinoids derived from the cannabis plant, but they exhibit slight differences in their molecular structures. The primary distinction lies in their side chains. CBD has a pentyl chain (with five carbon atoms), while CBDv has a propyl chain (with three carbon atoms). This seemingly minor structural variation can lead to differences in their pharmacological properties.
Although both compounds interact with the endocannabinoid system, this structural divergence can influence how each cannabinoid engages with specific receptors or how it affects the body. Understanding these nuances is crucial, especially when considering the therapeutic applications of each compound, as the subtle differences in their molecular structures can result in distinct pharmacological effects and benefits.
Where is CBDv Found?
While it shares certain similarities with the more widely known CBD (cannabidiol), this non intoxicating cannabinoid, found in smaller quantities, isn’t as prevalent in traditional cannabis plants. Interestingly, CBDv is more commonly found in Cannabis indica strains, especially those that naturally possess lower levels of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol).
It’s worth noting that the geographic origin of the cannabis plant can influence its cannabinoid profile. Plants grown in regions of Asia and Africa, for instance, have been identified to contain higher levels of CBDV. However, with the increasing interest in the therapeutic potential of various cannabinoids, selective breeding practices are now being employed to produce strains with higher concentrations of CBDv.
Potential Health Benefits of CBDv
While research into the effects of CBDv on dogs is still in its early stages, initial studies and anecdotal evidence suggest several potential health benefits that may extend to our canine friends. Since CBDv is structurally similar to CBD, it’s thought to offer some of the same benefits.
1. Normal Inflammatory Pathways
By influencing the endocannabinoid system, cannabinoids like CBDv may help maintain a balanced and healthy inflammatory response. This can help by:
- Helping maintain a normal inflammatory cytokine cascade
- Promotes inflammatory response associated with training and competition
- Supports inflammatory responses associated with normal daily exercise and activity
- Helping with occasional discomfort
- May help with occasional stiffness and soreness
2. Supporting Digestive Tract Health
By promoting overall homeostasis in the body, CBDv can support the optimal functioning of the digestive tract and help with the following:
- Helps maintain proper gut flora
- Helps support proper digestion and bowel health
- Supports a healthy gut
- Promotes intestinal well-being
- Helps maintain proper gut pH
3. Supports a Healthy Brain
CBDv may interact with the endocannabinoid system, particularly the CB1 and CB2 receptors, to aid in the elimination of unstable oxygen molecules called free radicals, helping decrease oxidative damage. With this interaction, along with the return to homeostasis (balance), CBDv may:
- Enhance your pet’s brain function
- Promote normal healthy brain activity
- Support normal nerve conduction and memory recall
- Support normal recovery from stress
4. Emotional Well-Being
While CBD, or full-spectrum hemp extract, is the more well-known compound for maintaining emotional well-being, CBDv may work along with the endocannabinoid system as well to:
- Have a calming effect on nerves
- Helping dogs maintain a normal and relaxed disposition
- Help maintain contentment during separation, travel, motion sickness and tension caused by changes in your pet’s daily routine
- Help reduce the effects of normal environmental stress
- Promote a sense of relaxation and mental alertness without drowsiness
5. Bone Growth and Repair
CBDv may help support the structural integrity of joints and connective tissues, supporting healthy joints naturally. In addition to these benefits, CBDv may:
- Promote healthy joints
- Enhance bone and joint health
- Enhances the functions of joint and connective tissue
- Helps maintain strong bones
- Supports healthy hip and joint health
Like full spectrum hemp extract, oral administration is the most common method used, particularly for non-clinical or at-home use. It generally involves consuming CBDv as part of an oil or capsule that is swallowed or a tincture that is administered in the dog’s mouth before being swallowed.
CBDv Isolate Tinctures Are Limited
CBDv tinctures are indeed more limited in availability compared to CBD tinctures. Several factors contribute to this limited availability:
- Natural abundance: CBDv is naturally found in lower concentrations in the cannabis plant, especially when compared to its counterpart, CBD. This means that a larger volume of raw plant material is needed to produce the same quantity of CBDv.
- Demand and awareness: CBD has garnered significant media attention and public awareness over the years, resulting in higher demand. On the other hand, CBDv, being less well-known, doesn’t have the same level of consumer demand, making it less commercially viable for many producers to manufacture and market.
- Research: While there is a growing body of research on CBD’s potential therapeutic benefits, studies on CBDv are still emerging. As more studies shed light on CBDv’s benefits, you might see an increase in its production and availability.
- Regulations: The legal landscape surrounding cannabis and its derivatives varies worldwide, which can influence the production and distribution of specific cannabinoids.
For dog owners interested in CBDv tinctures, it’s advisable to source products from reputable manufacturers or suppliers who ensure quality and purity. With increasing interest in the potential of diverse cannabinoids, the availability of CBDV products, including tinctures, may grow in the future.
Sourcing Full-Spectrum CBD
Full spectrum CBD for dogs & Cats, when extracted properly from high-quality plants, can contain a large amount of minor cannabinoids, including CBDv. Earth Buddy, for example, uses minimally processed, organic hemp extracted with the use of Co2 pressure and temperature. In addition to using locally sourced organic products, extraction is performed carefully without the use of harsh chemicals to ensure as many compounds are kept in-tact as possible.
When reviewing products that claim to be organic and full-spectrum, be sure to look for or ask for a 3rd party certificate of analysis. This document will tell you exactly what’s inside the bottle you’re purchasing, so you can check its potency and purity. Earth Buddy is completely transparent about what’s inside the bottle, offering lab results for each and every product.
If you take a look at the lab reports for the hemp extract, you will notice that there is CBDv found in the bottle. You can tell it’s there, how much is there, and what other cannabinoids are present. If a company does not provide you with any information you ask for, move on to the next.
The Entourage Effect With Full Spectrum Hemp Extract
Since a full spectrum hemp extract contains as many cannabinoids as possible, the entourage effect can occur. The entourage effect refers to the synergistic interaction of various compounds present in the cannabis plant. In essence, the compounds work better together than they would individually.
Here’s a deeper dive into this concept:
- Multiple compounds: Cannabis contains over 100 cannabinoids, including THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol). In addition to these cannabinoids, cannabis also has terpenes, flavonoids, and other phytochemicals.
- Synergistic interaction: While compounds like THC and CBD have significant therapeutic potential on their own, the idea behind the entourage effect is that their benefits can be amplified when combined with other compounds from the cannabis plant.
- Beyond THC and CBD: While THC and CBD get most of the attention, other cannabinoids like CBDv, CBG (cannabigerol), CBC (cannabichromene), and THCv (tetrahydrocannabivarin) can also play essential roles in the entourage effect. Their interactions with terpenes and other compounds can be beneficial.
Diving Deeper Into Lab Reports
When reviewing CBD, or any pet CBD product, it’s important to know what you’re looking for in this highly unregulated market. As previously mentioned, you want to look at potency and purity. But here’s what to look for specifically:
- Potency: This section reveals the concentration of major cannabinoids, like CBD and THC. Ensure the CBD concentration matches what’s advertised on the product label.
- Terpene profile: Some certificates of analysis provide a breakdown of terpenes, aromatic compounds in cannabis plants that may have therapeutic properties. If you’re interested in the entourage effect, where cannabinoids and terpenes work synergistically, this section can be informative.
- Contaminants: A comprehensive certificate of analysis should test for potential contaminants like pesticides, solvents, heavy metals, and microbial impurities. Verify that the tested levels are below the permissible limits, ensuring the product’s safety. As you may expect, the fewer contaminants, the better.
- Batch number: This should match the batch or lot number on the product label. It confirms that the certificate of analysis corresponds to the specific product batch you’ve purchased.
- Expiration date: Like any other product, CBD products have a shelf life. The certificate of analysis might list the product’s potency at the time of testing and its expected potency at the end of shelf life.
- Testing laboratory: Ensure the certificate of analysis comes from a reputable, third-party lab, not affiliated with the product manufacturer. An analysis from the company that’s selling the product is concerning. You can usually find out who completed the certificate analysis by looking in the right hand corner or near the top of the document.
Reading a certificate of analysis might seem technical at first, but it’s an essential step in ensuring you’re purchasing a safe and effective CBD product. If a brand doesn’t readily provide a certificate of analysis, it’s a red flag, and you might want to consider other companies.
More Research Is Needed
While the therapeutic potential of other cannabinoids like CBD has garnered significant attention and research, cannabidivarin CBDv (CBDv) remains relatively understudied and requires more research. Although CBDv could have similar effects to those of CBD and minor cannabinoids, there is a limited amount of information available regarding the compound.
The limited prevalence of CBDV in cannabis strains may be a factor in the limited scope of information. As interest in cannabis grows, it is hoped that CBDv, along with other cannabinoids, will receive the rigorous research attention they deserve. Until then, you can provide your pup with CBDv by offering them a high quality full spectrum hemp extract.
For further reading, we recommend:
You Might Also Enjoy
Adopting a dog can be an exciting experience, but before you skip over to the…
The topic of CBD for pets has been gaining considerable attention lately, sparking curiosity among…
Planning a dog birthday party might seem daunting at first, but it’s an opportunity to…