Hemp Terpenes for Dogs & Cats
What are Terpenes?
Terpenes are the aromatic compounds produced in the cannabis or hemp plants. The organic compounds produce a variety of smells and contribute to both the taste and overall experience of a cannabis product. All plants contain terpenes which act as an immune defense system against foreign pathogens. Terpenes are a plant’s natural insecticide.
These aromatic compounds not only help the overall health of the cannabis plant, but contribute to what is known as the Entourage Effect. The Entourage Effect refers to a breakthrough in scientific research that shows botanical extracts from cannabis actually are more effective when the whole plant extract with all of its constituents are included versus typical single-molecule or isolated compounds.
Terpenes Role in the Entourage Effect
Many in both the scientific community and users of cannabis believe that the Entourage Effect and overall experience is largely influenced by the terpene profile contained in these products. Much more research is needed to show the full potential of these full-spectrum extracts, but there is a large amount of anecdotal evidence to show that these types of cannabis products containing terpenes are much more effective for treating a wide-array of symptoms in smaller doses. The whole point of using a naturally derived, botanical extract from cannabis is to use the minimal effective dose. Plant-based therapies have always taken this approach and cannabis or hemp should be treated no different.
Benefits of Hemp Terpenes for Dogs & Cat
- Hemp terpenes can help improve the digestive health of dogs and cats. Hemp terpenes have been found to promote healthy inflammatory responses, which can help reduce upset in the digestive tract. This can help pets who suffer from digestive issues such as diarrhea, constipation, and vomiting. In addition, hemp terpenes can also help regulate the appetite of pets, making it easier for them to maintain a healthy weight.
- Hemp terpenes can help support the immune system of dogs and cats. These terpenes have been found to have antimicrobial and antifungal properties, which can help protect pets from harmful bacteria and viruses. This is especially important for pets who spend a lot of time outdoors, as they are more susceptible to picking up bacteria and viruses.
- Hemp terpenes can help improve the skin and coat health of dogs and cats. Terpenes have antibacterial properties which can help reduce skin irritations and infections. In addition, hemp terpenes can also help regulate the production of oils in the skin, which can help improve the overall appearance and health of a pet’s coat.
- Hemp terpenes can help improve the respiratory health of dogs and cats. These terpenes have been found to have bronchodilatory properties which can help open up the airways and make breathing easier for pets who suffer from respiratory issues such as asthma and bronchitis.
- Hemp terpenes can help improve the mood and behavior of dogs and cats. These terpenes have been found to have calming and relaxing properties which can help reduce stress in pets. This is especially important for pets who suffer from separation stress or who become stressed in unfamiliar situations such as car rides or vet visits.