August marks “Itchy Pet Month,” and since those itchies might be coming from allergies, we want to round up our recommendations for the top 5 natural supplements for dog allergies.
Before we do, though, it’s important to note that there are two main types of allergies: environmental and dietary. While our top 5 recommendations may help in both types of dog allergies, there are other important lifestyle changes to consider in each case:
- In the case of environmental allergies, wiping down your pup’s paws after they return from being outside, and using certain shampoos and skin treatments, can prevent certain allergens from sticking around your buddy.
- In the case of dietary allergies, avoiding trigger foods and implementing a hypoallergenic diet are positive ways to target the root cause of the allergy.
Like human allergies, we know it takes time to determine and alleviate the root cause of dog allergies. Often, extra support is needed. So without further ado, let’s dive into our recommended top 5 natural supplements for dog allergies.
Top 5 Natural Supplements for Dog Allergies
Colostrum is the first form of milk made by pregnant mammals shortly before giving birth. Packed with critical nutrients for a newborn, this milk can also support the wellness of humans and pets of all ages-and can be used as a natural supplement for dog allergies.
In studies, bovine colostrum (cow’s first milk) has been shown to support a healthy inflammatory response in the presence of allergens, as well as bind to and remove certain allergens.
Glutathione is known as the body’s “master antioxidant.” Antioxidants are critical in the body’s overall line of defense-whether against allergens or other pathogens such as viruses or bacteria.
When it comes to dog allergies, glutathione can help symptoms by combating oxidative stress in the ear, nose and throat and supporting a healthy inflammatory response.
This master antioxidant also regenerates and recycles other antioxidants in the body, such as Vitamin C and E, in turn helping support the immune system.
CBD (cannabidiol) can be a helpful natural supplement for dog allergies in that it helps support the immune system and helps maintain a normal inflammatory response.
In addition, a study demonstrated that CBD prevented cells from releasing histamines, reducing allergy symptoms.
There are a number of different mushrooms which can be used as supplements for dog allergies:
- The agarikon mushroom is a great supplement for allergies as it supports the body’s natural immune response, and it is rich in antioxidants.
- Cordyceps may support a healthy inflammatory response.
- The Reishi mushroom may support a healthy inflammatory response as well as maintain normal histamine levels. This mushroom is also adaptogenic-meaning it helps bring the immune system back to a state of homeostasis (whether the immune system is overreacting or underreacting).
- Turkey Tail is another mushroom that can support the immune system-in turn, supporting the body’s response to allergies.
To learn more about the relationship between the immune system and allergies, read our Natural Remedy for Pet Allergies article.
Quercetin is a compound within plants known as a flavonoid. This flavonoid gives some plants-such as wine, apples, onions and berries-their color.
Quercetin can be used as a natural supplement for dog allergies, as it helps maintain normal histamine levels, helps support normal detoxification processes and supports a healthy inflammatory response.
Take action for your dog’s allergies and browse Earth Buddy products containing the ingredients listed above.
RECOMMENDED PRODUCT: Focus + Immune – Mushroom & Hemp capsules for large breeds (10mg)
- Supports natural immunity and a calm focus
- Great for allergies (dietary or environmental)
- Adaptogenic blend made with Certified Organic, whole-food mushrooms and mycelium (Agarikon, Cordyceps, Lion’s Mane, Reishi and Turkey Tail) is activated and freeze-dried to preserve a full-spectrum of beneficial compounds
- Mushrooms sourced from a USDA Organic facility in the northwest United States and contain a full-spectrum of beneficial constituents
- Earth Buddy’s Whole Plant Hemp Extract with a full-spectrum of CBD, cannabinoids and terpenes is not extracted with the use of any chemicals or solvents typically used by CBD companies, but rather mechanical. Using only sub-zero temperature to extract and low heat to activate beneficial compounds (CBD), this preserves the full-spectrum of beneficial compounds.
RECOMMENDED PRODUCT: Gut Health – Whole Plant Hemp (300mg) + Colostrum
- Contains a potent blend of Grass-fed Colostrum and Solvent-free, Whole Plant Hemp Extract with a full-spectrum of CBD, cannabinoids and terpenes.
- Colostrum contains natural Immunoglobulins that support the body’s natural Immune Defense and improve Gastrointestinal Health.
- Whole Plant Hemp Extract with a full-spectrum of CBD, cannabinoids and terpenes promotes a healthy inflammatory response in the gut, where research has shown a large amount of cannabinoid receptors are found.
- Colostrum contains a high amount of healthy fats to support healthy skin & coat.
- Our Whole Plant Hemp Extract with a full-spectrum of CBD, cannabinoids and terpenes is not extracted with the use of ANY chemicals or solvents typically used by CBD companies, but rather mechanical. Using only sub-zero temperature to extract and low heat to activate beneficial compounds (CBD), this preserves the full-spectrum of beneficial compounds.
- Free of growth hormones (rBGH), pesticides or antibiotics
- Nothing from China
For more information on dog allergies or natural supplements for dog allergies, please read our Natural Remedy for Pet Allergies article. You can also refer to the source articles listed below.
Footnotes & Sources:
You Might Also Enjoy
Known for its spicy, earthy flavor, Beta-caryophyllene is one of the most abundant terpenes in Earth Buddy’s hemp plants. Also found in black pepper and cinnamon, this terpene supports a healthy inflammatory response in the body, promotes the body’s innate resistance to pathogens and more. Part 3 of our mini-series introduction to CBD For Pets…
Do summer parties, fireworks, and thunderstorms have you concerned about your furry friends’ stress? Here’s how CBD can help calm your pet.
In a time when people might be overwhelmed by the mention of “CBD,” we at Earth Buddy want to take a minute to pause and break down what cannabidiol actually is and discuss benefits and dosing of CBD for pets for various health reasons.