Hemp products for pets have been increasing in popularity due to their natural properties and potential health benefits. Extracted from the hemp plant, these products can include oils, treats, chews, and even topical balms, all specially formulated for pets. If you’re still on the fence about trying hemp dog products for your furry friend, here are seven reasons you may want to give hemp dog products a try.
1. Hemp Dog Products For Improved Emotional Well-Being
Dogs, like humans, have an endocannabinoid system, a biological system that plays a vital role in maintaining physical and emotional health. CBD oil interacts with this system, helping to maintain normal emotional balance.
This can be particularly beneficial for dogs that experience more stress than others. For example, dogs that aren’t comfortable with thunderstorms, trips to the vet, or changes in the environment may benefit from adding full spectrum hemp extract to their regimen.
By helping to calm their nervous system, high-quality CBD from the cannabis plant can promote a sense of relaxation and an improved disposition in dogs, contributing positively to their overall emotional well-being. Additional related benefits include:
- Helps dogs exhibiting nervousness, hyperactivity, discontentment or responding to environmentally-induced stress
- Helps maintain contentment during separation, travel, motion sickness and tension caused by changes in your dog’s daily routine (or your cat’s)
- Helps manage normal stress
- Promotes a sense of relaxation and mental alertness without drowsiness in dogs and cats
2. Normal Inflammatory Pathways in Pets
Full spectrum hemp extract, which includes all the cannabinoids, terpenes, and other beneficial compounds found in the hemp plant, is gaining recognition for its ability to maintain a normal inflammatory response. CBD, a prominent cannabinoid in full-spectrum hemp extract, is believed to interact with the endocannabinoid system present in all mammals.
The ECS plays a crucial role in maintaining homeostasis, including regulating immune responses and normal inflammatory pathways. High-quality CBD maintains a normal inflammatory cytokine cascade, thereby helping with occasional stiffness and soreness. In addition, terpenes, another component of full-spectrum hemp extract, may also promote these benefits.
3. Benefits of CBD For Your Pet’s Skin and Coat Health
CBD oil is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which are essential for healthy skin and coat. These fatty acids support skin barrier function, promote hydrated skin, and add luster and shine to your dog’s coat.
In addition to these benefits, full spectrum hemp extract also:
- Helps dogs achieve a soft, silky, shiny and healthy coat
- Helps reduce unwanted shedding
- Overall skin and coat enhancer
You may also choose to combine full spectrum hemp extract with medicinal mushrooms for maximum benefit if your dog is having skin problems, especially if they’re associated with allergies or insect bites. Medicinal mushrooms work synergistically with full spectrum hemp extract to keep dogs in peak condition.
4. Supports Your Dog’s Digestion
Full spectrum hemp extract combined with Colostrum helps support proper digestion and bowel health by bringing the body back to balance, scientifically known as homeostasis. Even if your dog isn’t experiencing digestive troubles, full spectrum hemp extract can help your dog absorb nutrients naturally.
In addition, high-quality, full spectrum hemp extract has the following benefits in the digestive realm:
- Helps maintain proper gut flora to support your pet’s health
- Can help relieve occasional gastric distress
- Helps maintain proper gut pH
- Aids in supporting the protective layers of the bowel
- Promotes intestinal well-being
5. Promotes Brain Health in Dogs
CBD products may have the potential to reduce oxidative stress and discomfort response in the brain, two factors that can contribute to neurodegenerative problems in your dog. Moreover, its potential to influence serotonin receptors could have implications for mood regulation, potentially providing additional support for emotional well-being and overall brain health.
In addition to these benefits, full spectrum hemp extract supports the brain by:
- Promotes normal, healthy brain activity
- Support for the central nervous system
- Supports normal brain and nerve function
6. Dog CBD for Joint Health
As your dog gets older, you may notice them having trouble getting up the stairs, jumping into the car, or, in more serious situations, even getting around. Their joints aren’t exactly how they used to be. Full spectrum hemp extract supports animals with joint tenderness due to soreness from everyday activity by:
- Enhancing bone and joint health
- Helping maintain cartilage and connective tissue
- Enhancing healthy joint fluid viscosity
- Helping relieve occasional joint stiffness
- Helping support the structural integrity of joints and connective tissues
7. Providing Immune Support for Overall Wellness
Immune support is one of the most important benefits of full spectrum hemp extract. If your dog’s immune system is down, it could affect all of the aspects listed above. The benefits of full spectrum hemp extract with regard to immune support include:
- Enhances liver and kidney functions in animals
- Supports normal detoxification processes in animals
- Promotes the body’s innate resistance to pathogens
Add Hemp Seed Oil to Your Dog and Cat’s Bowl
On a side note, you may also want to consider adding some hemp seed oil to your dog’s diet. Hemp seed oil and full spectrum CBD products are two completely separate products, even they’re a close form since they both come from cannabis, but both come with their own list of benefits. You have read some of the benefits of full spectrum hemp oil above. Here are the benefits of hemp seed oil:
- Rich in essential fatty acids: Hempseed oil is packed with omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in a balanced ratio, which is considered optimal for your dog’s health. These fatty acids are essential for many bodily functions, including maintaining healthy skin and coat, supporting heart health, and maintaining normal inflammatory pathways.
- Promotes skin and coat health: The fatty acids in hempseed oil can promote a glossy, shiny coat and healthy skin in dogs. It can also help promote healthy skin, making it beneficial for dogs with skin allergies or sensitivities.
- Supports immune health: The balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in natural hempseed oil can support a healthy immune response, which is vital for protecting your dog against pathogens.
- Joint health: Hemp oil’s ability to maintain healthy inflammatory processes, largely due to its natural fatty acid content, may help support joint flexibility and mobility.
- Boosts digestive health: Hempseed oil can also benefit your dog’s digestive system. It can promote healthy gut flora, aid in nutrient absorption, and ease occasional discomfort.
- Supports cardiovascular health: The omega fatty acids in hempseed oil can support heart health by supporting normal blood pressure and promoting normal circulatory function.
Although both products work on the systems of the body, the way they work is different. The pathways are different, promoting a healthier body overall.
Not All Products Are Created Equal
While there are many potential benefits to using hemp products for your four legged friend, it’s important to remember that not all products and pet CBD brands are created equal. Always choose high-quality products from reputable brands. Look for products that are organic, lab-tested, and transparent about their ingredients and processes, whether you’re looking at tinctures, soft chews, topical balms, or any other type.
Earth Buddy’s full spectrum hemp extract is grown on a small, organic farm in Colorado. Plants are grown without the use of pesticides using rigorous regenerative farming techniques, and third party sources are never used. These plants are also non GMO, meaning they have not been genetically modified and are left as natural as possible.
This means pet owners know exactly how and where the hemp was grown. In addition to this, every product comes with lab results that can be found here, so you know exactly what’s inside the bottle and ensure there are no other ingredients, like heavy metals and pesticides. And if your dog doesn’t appreciate the tincture, there are also CBD dog treats available containing this oil, which contains a significant dosage of hemp oil.
For further reading, we recommend:
You Might Also Enjoy
You’re crunching into a juicy apple, and suddenly, those puppy eyes are on you, full…
What you may think are strange behaviors in your dog could be completely normal. To…
One of the most common questions among dog lovers is, ‘why do dogs bark at…